Thursday, September 11, 2008

Distress signs


As we were progressing in our practice in janadriya, sometimes I found it too difficult to manage the case load ending up scanning 80 to 90 mares a day apart from the regulars like colics, vulvoplasty, injuries,foal diarrhea,etc,etc. During foaling season life became miserable as we were working in the nights and start early in the morning to catch up with the scanings. Dystocias put us in a very difficult situation, sometimes in the middle of the night we are called to attend a dystocia and after about half hour’s drive when you reach the stable, there would be a normal foal chuckling at you. Apart from these types of situations there are some other occasions wherein your patience is at your best, once a horse owner called me at 1 in the night to tell that I should swab his mare in the morning. I asked him why could not he call me in the morning as I am at the stables early, he said that he would be asleep and cant wake up before 10 that is why he wanted to instruct me before he slept. What a person he is. We frequently got threats from not only the owners but also the grooms, sometimes the grooms tell me that the master is unhappy with the service we provide and thinking of changing the vet. My answer mostly was a big grin and told them to do at the earliest. After tending to a dystocia the fatigue in the hands stay for a few days and carrying on with our scannings become more difficult. Sometimes when I drove my car to attend to an emergency in the middle of night I looked below my waist to make sure whether I put my pants or not, it became so mechanical that before picking up the ringing phone in the night I look for the key of my car. These are all some distressing signs I noticed, due mainly to loss of sufficient sleep.

1 comment:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal