Saturday, September 20, 2008

Stud Manager

Sometimes we get into managers who behave like psycho. One such person we had to deal with approached us to work for his farm. We were asked to visit his farm once in two days to scan the broodmares and have to advise on some problems related to the health of their horses. We found the deal was attractive and accepted without knowing the background of that person. You would have never met such nice person before, in a few minutes you will see the worst side of him, the mood changes so fast. He used to lock the grooms and labourers in a room, beats and tortures them and the next day give them money as a compensation for the sufferings. Many ran away unable to withstand the torture methods applied by him. On the first day of our work in the farm we were made to wait for three hours saying that the manager was very busy the night before attending a foaling and now taking rest. During my next visit he invited me to have break-fast with him then he asked me to scan 25 mares and a few foals, my half day was gone and I was bombarded with phone calls from janadriya. On my next trip(in the evening) he was not there and his mobile was switched-off, so I checked some(twenty) mares for ovulation, estrus and pregnancy. I wrote my observations and told the supervisor to convey it to the manager when he returns. When I was about to leave he arrived and told me to check all the mares again, I refused. He started beating the grooms and threatened them that he would lock them all. Most of the grooms were from Pakistan and were from very poor families. They came and told me the consequences they are to face if I don’t yield to his demand. Then I agreed to check them again it was 11:00 in the night when I returned home. Once I reached the farm at 2:00 p.m, there was a dystocia, she was a maiden mare and nervous to lie down, the fetlock of the foal was flexed, I corrected the flexion and the mare foaled. When the manager arrived he came to know of this and started beating the supervisor for not informing him(his mobile was switched off when the supervisor tried to call him).

No comments: