Wednesday, September 10, 2008

vet/mechanic

The expectations of horse owners sometimes would be unjustifiable, they expect us to be like a mechanic,diagnose the problem, fix it and give a trial run this is the expectation I see in most cases. Once a trainer told me to have a look at one of his racing fillies, which had a very good racing career, she had a swollen right knee, I examined and there was severe pain, I suspected it to be a chip fracture, I told the trainer that it is better to take a x-ray and give her some rest, but he said that it should run in a very important race in a few days. I told him it is impossible. He advised me that a good vet should find out the problem and resolve it, should not tell to stop exercise. I took a x-ray and I found a big chip and told him that it is better to take her to a referral clinic, but he administered a heavy dose of anti-inflammatory and raced her, she finished last. Another owner had a filly, he covered her thinking to retire from racing, then he brought her back to work a week after the cover, on 14th day when we scanned, she was in foal and told the owner to retire her from racing. But he sent her for racing, she won four races and placed a few times. After four months when he brought her again, I confirmed her to be pregnant and told him not to race any further. He said he wants to run her for the last time, she dislocated her right shoulder during that race, she spent most of her time recumbent. After the term she foaled a very weak and small foal.

No comments: