Sunday, September 14, 2008

Rectal Tear


In practice, when working under extreme conditions without proper facilities life gets tougher. When we do rectal examination without a stock, the groom will say don’t worry sir my mare will not kick, I don’t take their assurances, if you are kicked the same person will say I know the way you were approaching my mare I thought it is going to kick. There are chances of us getting injured and sometimes the animal getting injured both way it is a loss to us. Many times we will be distracted by manythings, like cell phone, a horse owner, etc. During these times we have a great chance of injuring or getting injured. Whenever I am tired physically or mentally I caused rectal tears mostly non life threatening(first degree). Once when I was examining a mare which was straining very much and I got a call from another person saying that there is a dystocia I had to rush to finish the rectal examination. There was a rectal tear and the bleeding was a bit more than that of a minor one. I got cold sweats, shivering and black outs. Noticing a difference my assistant asked me what happened, I told him what has happened, he told me that he never noticed the blood in dung eventhough he was holding the tail, no one else knew what happened so forget about it, don’t worry too much about it. I said,”no body knows but I know”. Then we went to attend the dystocia and we took out a live foal. In the night I got a call from the owner of the mare which had a rectal tear saying that it to be off feed showing colic signs. I was almost dead, this is the feeling I had. I treated her with some analgesics, laxatives and intravenous fluids and went back to my room. The whole night I did not sleep, I was just praying I could see my heart beating so fast.Next morning I went to the stable at 4 there was no one as it was a Friday, I was looking around the paddocks I could not identify that mare. At 7 the groom came and I was looking at him so nervously, he asked me what happened , you come so early that too on a Friday. I asked him how the mare is, he said she is fine, passed dung and now eating well. I could not believe what he said, I asked him where is she, he took to me inside the stable and showed, I was so much relieved and happy that I wanted to give a big hug to the mare.

No comments: